Thursday, June 17, 2010

Temples, Budhhas, Palaces and Fields of Deer


Ohayou again, all! This is our last morning in Kyoto and I am continuing with my tradition of dropping a quick a.m. post (it's hard to stay asleep when the sun rises at 5 a.m.).

Our schedule for today includes more sightseeing of various temples, a visit to the Kyoto Handicraft Museum, and departure for Hiroshima at about noon on a 2 1/2 hour bullet train ride (Guess what? Our last 2 hour bullet train ride literally felt like 30 minutes, that's just how fast it goes). We will cap the evening with a Japanese baseball game.

Alright, you've read about it (courtesy of Joe Hazel, author of our last blog), now see about it. Check out our pics from yesterday's jam-packed sight-seeing of the Golden Pavilion (and its fat koi fish), Nijo Castle, the Todai-ji Temple and deer..... that ATTACK (*cue suspense music*)!
I kid, I kid! They were super friendly but very expectant of a treat if you approached them. We ended the day with a Japanese dinner of delicious bento boxes, udon noodle soups, green tea ice cream and the most flavorful, light, melt-in-your mouth fried chicken I have ever tasted in my life, no joke. This grasshopper is DETERMINED to master her chopsticks before the trip ends.

Subarashii!

Ms.O




























1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, what gorgeous photos!! It's terrific to see the incredible structures that Joe was describing in the earlier post. The Golden Pavilion is ... well ....very GOLD! I can see that the deer were very "friendly". They look very sweet from far away, but I don't know how it would be to have them nibbling at my fingers in search of food .... probably still sweet I'm guessing. All the students (and leaders) look like they're enjoying themselves immensely. The food sounds and looks very yummy. Have a great trip on the bullet trip to Hiroshima. Thank you for taking the time to create this wonderful write-up and post photos of your last day in Kyoto!!

    ReplyDelete